Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Quick and easy side dish from Diabetic Living.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups fresh whole kernel corn or 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the skillet (discard the remaining drippings). Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add corn and soybeans to the reserved drippings in skillet; cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or just until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, stir together crumbled bacon, corn-soybean mixture, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and chile pepper.
- For dressing, in a small screw-top jar, combine oil, lime peel, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and shake well to mix. Pour dressing over corn mixture; toss gently to coat.