Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
I work long hours so I'm always looking for a good meal I can freeze and take to work as I need it. This meal works great and the best part? It's healthy too.
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups precooked brown rice, preheated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice the chicken breasts at an angle to make 1/2-3/4 inch thick slices.
- Preaheat olive oil on skillet to medium high.
- Just as the olive oil starts to 'smoke' reduce heat to medium and add the garlic.
- Quickly stir until the garlic is just aromatic (15-20 seconds) and add chicken.
- Continue to cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through and slightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp water to the skillet and scrap until the drippings are glazed.
- In the same skillet combine the black beans, corn, and salsa and heat on low/medium-low until warm.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of rice with the black beans & salsa mix on the side.
It always amazes me when a dish with super basic ingredients can taste so incredible! I only used one breast, and I substituted baby lima beans for the corn but everything else stayed the same. I only buy dried black beans which I precook and then freeze, so I thawed out the beans by steaming them. I then used that water to cook the brown rice...a nice little trick to add more flavor. Truly an exceptional dish that will most definitely be made again!!
Tasty and easy. My husband loved it. We didn't have any garlic, so I seasoned the chicken with Goya Adobo.