Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Progresso's Crispy Italian classic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Cook, onions and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Between sheets of waxed paper, flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in oil 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in center. Pour tomato sauce around chicken in skillet. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over chicken, cover and heat until melted. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan chees just before serving.