Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy, quick and cheap. The only notes I have on this recipe is: Peg Bracken I Hate To Cook.
- 8 ounces uncooked noodles
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- chopped parsley (she says this is VERY important-grin)
- Start cooking those noodles, first dropping a bullion cube into the noodle water.
- Brown the garlic, onion, and crumbled beef in the oil.
- Add the flour, salt, paprika, and mushrooms, stir, and let it cook five minutes while you light a cigarette and stare sullenly at the sink.
- Then add the soup and simmer it--in other words, cook on low flame under boiling point--ten minutes.
- Now stir in the sour cream--keeping the heat low, so it won't curdle--and let it all heat through.
- To serve it, pile the noodles on a platter, pile the Stroganoff mix on top of the noodles, and sprinkle chopped parsley around with a lavish hand.
- I copied it word for word.
I have been making this for years. The reason to use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom soup is that the taste of mushroom soup in a dish is a dead giveaway that you used something out of a can in your creation. If you don't like cream of chicken soup, use cream of celery. It will add to the flavor without giving away the ingredient.
This is a really great, cheap recipe. I also used fresh mushrooms and less salt. Excellent dish!
I changed this recipe just a bit to take care of my personal tastes. First thing was to substitute ground chicken for ground beef. Since I'm not a big fan of cream of chicken soup, I substituted cream of mushroom. Instead of canned mushroom, I sauteed fresh mushroom with the meat. I also cut down on the amount of salt (I've got to watch my blood pressure). My last change was to omit the step involving smoking a cigarette - but had a good laugh during that time instead. DH & DS claim this would be 5 stars if prepared with ground beef. I believe it was definitely 5 stars prepared my way. Fantastic recipe - one that is sure to be a family favorite. Thanks for sharing. Made for 2008 PAC-O