Recipe by Childrens Minister
This is a beautiful low-fat dessert. The sauce made with orange juice gives this a distinct flavor that compliments the tart strawberry. You will love this!
- 1 angel food cake
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1 large navel orange
- 6 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- fat-free cool whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, stem, and slice strawberries (I love using an egg slicer to get even slices).
- Place strawberries in medium bowl.
- Using a reamer, juice orange into the bowl of strawberries.
- Stir, adding Splenda, extract, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Stir berries in this juice very well and set aside to allow berries to macerate while you assemble the trifle.
- Tear half of angel food cake into bite-size bits and place in bottom of trifle bowl.
- Add half of strawberries followed by the other half of the angel food cake torn into bite size bits.
- Place remaining strawberries on top of cake.
- Pour juice over the layers.
- Top with Cool Whip.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Serves 4 generously.
- Suggestions: You can garnish the top of the cool whip by saving two or three of the strawberries and making a fan.
- To do this, place a strawberry stem side down in your egg slicer.
- slowly lower the top and slice into the strawberry just to the point that it is about to cut through.
- Pull the strawberry out and spread the slices.