Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe at allrecipes.com when I was looking to re-create a tomato soup I had in a little cafe. The only thing that I remembered about it was that it did not contain any cream or basil but had a hint of dill. Since I love tomato soup in the winter when I have no fresh basil in the garden... I always turn to this simple recipe. This was submitted by "Zale" on allrecipes.com and I have tweaked it just slightly. Hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do... Hint: it's great with a grilled cheese sandwich!!!
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, chicken base, and season with dill weed, pepper, bay leaf and optional salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and discard bay leaf.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to puree the soup in small batches until smooth.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream.
- You could chill it and serve it cold, but I have never had any leftovers to try it this way!
This was so fast and really tasty! I just had three bowls, mmm!
This soup was so quick and easy to make. Great flavor as well. I didn't use the additional salt but did add some more dill as I love it.