Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cheese rice with tomatoes is very simple and delicious. I did it a few years ago. It's from Jean Paré.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 19 ounces tomatoes with juice, undrained, smashed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine 6 first ingredients in a casserole. Bring to boil stirring often. Cover. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
Delicious and so versatile and so quick to get on the table ! I added a stock cube and some diced zucchini. We all loved this.
This is easy to do, but my rice was still a little crunchy after 25 minutes. I ususally use arborio rice for risotto, so maybe I used the wrong rice....I used long grain rice as specified in the recipe. The overall taste was good though! Thanks for posting!
Easy to throw together and yummy. I used chicken stock instead of water. Thank you!