Recipe by CarrolJ
This is the potato salad I was raised on. Lots of eggs along with the sweet pickles gives the salad a taste similar to a good egg salad sandwich. I have adjusted the recipe slightly over the years to add color and more flavor. Adding the grated onion to the hot potatoes really lets the onion permeate the flavor of the potatoes. Cooking time is included in the preparation time.
Top Review by Sharon123
I halved the recipe and added some vinegar and sugar to mayo to mimic Miracle Whip. I chopped the carrot in the food processor to make it really small bites, left out the MSG. Thanks for a yummy potato salad Carrol! Made for PAC 2011.
- 5 large russet potatoes
- 6 -8 eggs
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 small sweet onion (grated)
- 1⁄3 cup carrot (julienned then chopped in small pieces) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet gerkin pickle (chopped finely or same amount of sweet relish)
- 2 cups Miracle Whip (add more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and cook until tender covered with water.
- Drain well and gently mix the grated onion into the hot potatoes then set aside to cool.
- Boil the eggs about 10 minutes, cool, peel and chop.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle cut them into medium size chunks or cubes.
- Chop the eggs well and add to the potatoes.
- Add the celery, carrots,and pickles and toss gently.
- Mix the Miracle whip well with the salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing mixture to the salad, adding more Miracle Whip if needed to make sure the entire salad is covered well but not soupy.
- Garnish with the paprika on the top of the salad.
- Chill well several hours or overnight.