This is the potato salad I was raised on. Lots of eggs along with the sweet pickles gives the salad a taste similar to a good egg salad sandwich. I have adjusted the recipe slightly over the years to add color and more flavor. Adding the grated onion to the hot potatoes really lets the onion permeate the flavor of the potatoes. Cooking time is included in the preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large russet potatoes
- 6 -8 eggs
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 small sweet onion (grated)
- 1/3 cup carrot (julienned then chopped in small pieces) (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweet gerkin pickle (chopped finely or same amount of sweet relish)
- 2 cups Miracle Whip (add more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1Peel and quarter the potatoes and cook until tender covered with water.
- 2Drain well and gently mix the grated onion into the hot potatoes then set aside to cool.
- 3Boil the eggs about 10 minutes, cool, peel and chop.
- 4When the potatoes are cool enough to handle cut them into medium size chunks or cubes.
- 5Chop the eggs well and add to the potatoes.
- 6Add the celery, carrots,and pickles and toss gently.
- 7Mix the Miracle whip well with the salt and pepper.
- 8Add the dressing mixture to the salad, adding more Miracle Whip if needed to make sure the entire salad is covered well but not soupy.
- 9Garnish with the paprika on the top of the salad.
- 10Chill well several hours or overnight.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Potato Salad Without Mustard
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.4
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 312.2 mg
- Sodium 1943.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 20.0 g