Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe source: local newspaper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried chili
- 12 mushrooms
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 6 baby artichokes, outer leaves removed and trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
- 12 baby carrots, trimmed
- 16 white pearl onions
- 4 baby fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (or into quarters if large)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 12 shrimp, tail left on, peeled and de-veined
- In a large skillet combine first 11 ingredients (honey - chile) and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add vegetables (mushrooms - fennel); reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Pour vegetables and liquid into a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Let mixture cool to room temperature (***can be refrigerated at this point and brought back to room temperature before proceding).
- Season shrimp with salt.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet and saute over high heat for 2 minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- To serve: divide vegetables evenly among four plates and top with 3 shrimp per serving. Spoon some of the poaching liquid over each serving and garnish with cracked pepper if desired.
Made this for the 2 of us & although I'm not that fond of artichokes & mushrooms, my other half is, so most of those made it to his plate! I did pretty much follow the recipe although I did double the amount of shrimp & liked that a lot! Serious raves came from across the table, so you know it was well received! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]