Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Russell cooked this for my birthday dinner last night-along with Tom Yum Soup. We managed to eat a whole recipe between the two of us. What a feast! I'm sure it would feed 4-6 with another dish, or as an appetiser in a Chinese meal.
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 500 g raw shrimp (prawn)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece fresh ginger, grated (1x2cm)
- 120 g drained water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh red chile
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold cooked white rice
- 1 cup bean sprouts, tailed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- Wash the lettuce and separate the leaves.
- Shake off any excess water and dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Set aside until needed.
- If the shrimp are large, cut into smaller pieces.
- Heat a wok over high heat, add the vegetable and sesame oils and swirl to coat the side of the wok.
- Add spring onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp meat, water chestnuts and chilli, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and continue to stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rice, sprouts and cilantro and stir until combined.
- Pour in the set-aside stir-fry sauce, toss briefly, then remove the wok from the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
- Place the dry lettuce cups on a plate.
- Either fill the lettuce cups with the mixture yourself, or allow your guests to do so at the table.
- Serve with hoisin sauce, to be drizzled over the top.
This is great. I made only 2 slight changes, instead of sesame oil and chili, I used sesame chili oil. And I also substituted brown rice for the white. I've only made this once, but will be sure to not lose this one. In fact I've marked it five stars and a capital GREAT!
This was wonderful. Great contrasts in flavours and textures. Very fresh-tasting. I didn't stray from the recipe at all and it worked perfectly. Thanks.