Russell cooked this for my birthday dinner last night-along with Tom Yum Soup. We managed to eat a whole recipe between the two of us. What a feast! I'm sure it would feed 4-6 with another dish, or as an appetiser in a Chinese meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 500 g raw shrimp (prawn)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 piece fresh ginger, grated (1x2cm)
- 120 g drained water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh red chile
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold cooked white rice
- 1 cup bean sprouts, tailed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1Wash the lettuce and separate the leaves.
- 2Shake off any excess water and dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- 3Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce and lime juice in a small bowl.
- 4Set aside until needed.
- 5If the shrimp are large, cut into smaller pieces.
- 6Heat a wok over high heat, add the vegetable and sesame oils and swirl to coat the side of the wok.
- 7Add spring onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- 8Add the shrimp meat, water chestnuts and chilli, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and continue to stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- 9Add the rice, sprouts and cilantro and stir until combined.
- 10Pour in the set-aside stir-fry sauce, toss briefly, then remove the wok from the heat.
- 11Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
- 12Place the dry lettuce cups on a plate.
- 13Either fill the lettuce cups with the mixture yourself, or allow your guests to do so at the table.
- 14Serve with hoisin sauce, to be drizzled over the top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp (Prawn) San Choy Bau
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.1
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 190.4 mg
- Sodium 1213.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: