Recipe by teresas
This is out of the Fall 2008 clean eating magazine...So I made this tonight...7/21/12...mine turned out very much like the photo in the magazine...it was a pale yellow like chicken broth...not sure what happen with the 1st reviewer...I used steamed broccoli and threw in a touch of sliced chili pepper for additional color and heat...I do think that a splash of lime would really bring all the flavors together...hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by MsPia
I followed the recipe to a T.
For the veggies I used red bell peppers, peas and scallions.
I love cilantro but this was just a little too much.
The infused broth turned really dark green, almost brown and it did not look to appealing.
The shrimp acquired that color also.
Plus the 1 cup of chopped cilantro for garnish overpowers all the other flavors.
I think the recipe has a ton of potential with just a little tweaking.
- 4 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 inches ginger, fresh, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili pepper, Thai
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen asian-style vegetables (can use steamed fresh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour chicken broth into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave covered on high until broth is hot, approximately 3 minutes, depending on the power of your appliance.
- Meanwhile, chop cilantro, including stems.
- Reserve 1 cup of chopped leaves for garnish.
- Thinly slice ginger.
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat side of your knife.
- Cut chili pepper in half: remove seeds if you want less heat in your soup.
- When broth is hot, pour into a medium saucepan.
- Add chopped cilantro stems and leaves (except reserved cup) ginger, garlic and chili pepper and cover.
- Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Strain broth into the microwave-safe bowl, then return strained broth to saucepan.
- Add shrimp and vegetables.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves you've set aside and discard the rest.