This recipe was taken out of my mom's recipe collection. It is a very old and well used recipe.
Make and share this Shrimp Creole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄2 cup okra, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- cooked rice
- In a large skillet, over medium-low heat, brown flour in butter.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, and okra; sauté until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup water, more if necessary.
- Stir in shrimp, bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes,or until shrimp is done.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over hot rice.
This was a really tasty and pretty healthy meal. I added some cajun seasoning for a little kick, and had to use frozen okra...it worked out fine. A definate keeper recipe.
An outstanding quick meal. I used 1 cup of okra and being a little shy on shrimp, added in some cooked diced white meat chicken. The salt and pepper became Cajun seasoning. It was served on top of brown rice and a salad on the side.
this is great- i'll double it next time so i have leftovers for lunch. i omitted the okra but used a red pepper in it's place and served with hot sauce on the side, a keeper.