Recipe by Pellerin
After tweaking a recipe seen on "Barefoot Contessa," I arrived at this delicious, LOW FAT, high protein hors d'oeuvre that everyone (even the non-fish eaters) gobble up! Dead simple to make - just be sure to devein the shrimp, and don't cook them too long. Classically served with sauce in a martini glass, with shrimp hanging around the edges.
- 1 lemon
- kosher salt
- 1 lb shrimp (raw, in shell, about 15 of the medium or large, 15-30 per lb. size)
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce (Heinz)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (prepared, creamy)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce at least one hour in advance (even better with 24 hours in the fridge).
- For the cocktail sauce, combine the chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Chill at least one hour, if possible.
- Cut the lemon in half and add it to a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, for only 3 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to immediately stop cooking.
- When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel and devein them (back-sides). Keep cold until ready to serve.