Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Delicious appetizers that I can't stop eating.
Top Review by Merlot
I had some of my girlfriends over for a luncheon and served this. Everyone, including myself, went wild over it. I used fresh basil out of my garden and tomatoes right out of my neighbor's garden. I made the tomato mixture and cooked the shrimp ahead of time then when it was time to serve, all I had to do was assemble it. This bruschetta is the best!!!! Thank you, Nurse Di!!!
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 slices Italian bread or 12 slices French bread, toasted (3/4-inch thick)
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Fill a big bowl halfway with ice water; set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the boiling water; cook about 4 minutes or until firm and pink.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the ice water and let them cool completely.
- Drain shrimp and dry off with paper towels.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, and vinegar to the container of a food processor; pulse until tomatoes are finely chopped but not pureed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; pulse 1-2 more times; set aside.
- Rub one side of each bread slice with the cut side of the garlic cloves.
- With a pastry brush, brush the bread with olive oil.
- Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon tomato mixture.
- Slice each shrimp lengthwise; place shrimp on top of tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.