Recipe by Lalaloob
So sometimes you just have to go the distance, take out all the stops and present a soup that gets the Ooooooooh's and Ahhhhhhhhh's. So this is it. There might be other similar bisques on zaar, no doubt, but this is one I do and though it's not my original, I think it is just luxurious. Serve up with a simple roast and a great salad.
Top Review by Merlot
This is an absolutely wonderful shrimp bisque! Rich, creamy and velvety. I made it exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing this wonderful bisque, Lalaloob.
- 2 lbs small fresh shrimp
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- It is important to note that your shrimp should come with their shells.
- REMOVE shells from shrimp and wash shells in cold water.
- PLACE shells in a sauce pan and add chicken broth.
- SIMMER shells in the broth for 20 minutes.
- STRAIN flavored broth and discard shells.
- SAUTE onion, carrot and celery in hot butter three minutes until softened.
- STIR in flour and add tomato paste and strained broth.
- ADD cleaned shrimp.
- COVER and simmer 15 minutes.
- PUT the soup in a blender (or use an emersion blender . . . my favorite kitchen tool!) and puree until smooth.
- STRAIN soup into a clean saucepan.
- ADD lemon juice, sherry, cream and nutmeg.
- *Taste the soup and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- **If you want to freeze, do not add lemon juice, sherry, cream and nutmeg. Do that after defrosting.