Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
My new sandwich obsession, the Danish Smorrebrod, a wonderful openface treat; this one's loaded with seafoods and fresh veggies on a slice of rye bread. This also makes a delicious appetizer, and I make extra of the cucumbers to enjoy in salads as well.
Top Review by Kookaburra
This made an easy, different and delicious lunch. I made this exactly as stated, using the cream cheese option, but substituting the smoked salmon with smoked ocean trout. I love the idea of 'pickling' the cucumbers. Thanks for a great recipe that gave us a little taste of Denmark!
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 slices rye bread (I like pumpernickel the best)
- 3 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 -4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 slices smoked salmon
- 8 shrimp, cooked, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- dill, to garnish
- lemon wedge, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly "pickle" the cucumber by finely slicing it and tossing it with the salt, sugar and lemon juice. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the rye bread slices with the butter or cream cheese. Arrange the radish slices on top, then top with folds of smoked salmon. Drain the cucumber and layer this on top of the salmon. Top with the cooked shrimp.
- Sprinkle fresh dill over the smorrebrod and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing. Serve 2 smorrebrod per person.