Recipe by mollypaul
Whether in Charleston or New Orleans, shrimp and rice au gratin is something to be enjoyed and long remembered. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, the soft kind (Panko)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add flour, blending well.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thickened.
- Add half of cheese and seasoning; cook until cheese is melted, stirring constantly.
- Clean the shrimp and break them in half.
- Mix with rice and sauce.
- Place in buttered baking dish, sprinkle with crumbs and cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crumbs are browned and cheese is melted.