Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
- 5 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 3⁄4 cups catsup
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- Combine the beef, brown sugar, vinegar and water in 6 quart cast iron or other heavy ovenproof pot.
- Bake at 375°F for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven; cool.
- Remove all fat and any bones.
- Shred beef; return to pot.
- Add mixture of catsup, mustard, onion and garlic; stir to blend.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F and cook, covered, for up to 4 hours.
- Stir every half hour, adding more water/ catsup to keep moistened.
- Serve on buns with the onion and cheese.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.
Awesome camping recipe. It did take awhile, but well worth the wait. Feed 35 kids at camp with no left overs. They loved it and want it next time. Thank you
This was easy to make (though it takes a while), and the kids really like it. It makes a lot, and it keeps well, making for quick and easy dinners during the week. I liked topping my sandwiches with cole slaw. I might have preferred a 'bolder' taste, so I may do half ketchup and half BBQ sauce next time.