Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Shoyu Chicken is a popular Hawaiian dish. It is often served with rice. The word shoyu is Japanese for soy sauce. Let the chicken soak in the marinade for at least an hour, the longer the better.
- 236.59 ml soy sauce (shoyu sauce)
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 14.79 ml ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4.92 ml ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4.92 ml ground paprika (optional)
- 2267.96 g boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes (optional), cayenne pepper (optional), and paprika (optional) in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight (the longer the better).
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 15 minutes per side.