Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Shoyu Chicken is a popular Hawaiian dish. It is often served with rice.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika (optional)
- 5 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade.
- Discard the remaining marinade.
- Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 15 minutes per side.
This was so good. Loved the mix of flavors. I used boneless skinless thighs so mine didn't have to cook quite as long. Thanks for posting.
Good chicken. I love teriyaki marinades that are made from scratch - they taste much better than the purchased ones. I minced the ginger rather than grate it because I like to get those little 'bites'. Easy and good. Thanks Lainey for a nice dinner. Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.