Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These don't last long at my house.
- 354.88 ml butter
- 591.47 ml flour
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 340.19 g individually wrapped soft caramels, such as Kraft
- 59.14 ml whole milk
- 283.49 g semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- Cut 1 cup of the butter into chunks. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 2°C of the flour, 1/2°C sugar, the cornstarch and the butter chunks. Whirl until dough comes together. Press evenly over the bottom of a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake in a 325° oven until top feels dry and is just beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, unwrap caramels and place them in a microwave-safe bowl with milk. Cook in microwave on full power for 1 minute. Stir mixture, then cook and stir at 30-second intervals until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes longer. Spread caramel mixture evenly over cooled crust and chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (bottom of bowl should not touch water), stir chocolate and remaining 1/2°C butter often until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water and, with a whisk or a mixer on medium speed, beat in remaining 3/4°C sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir in remaining 1/2°C flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- Pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer and use a knife or spatula to spread level, completely covering caramel.
- Bake in a 350° oven until a wooden skewer inserted into the chocolate layer comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars.
These are really good and very easy (though a little time consuming with the steps). If I make them again, I think I might add some semi-sweet mini chips to the shortbread--I also may just make the brownie with the caramel swirled in as I thought the brownie and the caramel were the best parts of the bar. Thank you for a good recipe!
Serve these with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and homemade caramel sauce: FANTASTIC!
These are unbelievable! They are fairly simple to make, too; they just take a little bit of time. It doesn't matter, because they're worth it! We just love them. Thanks for the fantastic treat!