Betty's Crunchy Brownie Bars
photo by Sharlene~W
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
24 large brownies
- 3⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (21 1/4 ounce) package brownie mix (Betty Crocker Hershey's Triple Chunk Supreme)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 unsweetened chocolate squares (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, sift if lumpy
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- For crunchy layer, combine flour, soda and salt; stir in oats and brown sugar.
- Add the 3/4 cups melted butter and pat mixture in bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes; at this time it will not be completely baked.
- While bottom layer is in the oven, prepare brownies as directed on package.
- Spread batter in pan over crunchy layer.
- Return to oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until done (do not over bake).
- Prepare frosting when brownies are cool.
- In a small saucepan melt together chocolate and the 3 tablespoons butter.
- Remove from heat; immediately add confectioners' sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoons hot water.
- Stir until smooth; add remaining tablespoon hot water to make a soft, pourable consistency.
- Spread over brownies while frosting is still hot; let set until firm.
- Cut into bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the San Francisco area and love it here. I discovered Recipezaar (then Food.com..Genius Kitchen) in 2001 and have been so happy to have my favorite recipes stored safely here. I am mother to 7 and grandmother to 7. I love to knit, smock, sew, etc., but my favorite hobby of the moment is traditional rug hooking. This is a sample of what I do.? It's called "November".? I dyed most of the wool myself. It is made from wool flannel, cut into strips a little less than 1/4" and then worked into a linen backing. This is my 3rd rug.