Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From a newspaper clipping
- 4 lbs lean short rib of beef, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cups rich beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, cut in thin strips
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat a shallow roasting pan in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Rut ribs in pan and brown for about 15 minutes, turning in order to brown on all sides.
- Transfer ribs to a large heavy pot.
- Lower heat to 350 and cook for 30 minutes.
- Pour off fat.
- Place pot on top of stove.
- Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are transparent.
- Add beef broth, seasoning, grated lemon and vinegar.
- Cover, put back in oven and cook for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Make a paste of the flour and water and cook on top of the stove until thick.
- Add to stew in oven.
- Saute mushrooms and peppers in oil until tender.
- Add to stew and cook 15 minutes more.