Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
I couldn't get my family to eat eggplant until my aunt gave me this recipe. Slices of eggplant topped with tomatoes, onions and bubbling melted mozzarella. Family eats it right up!
- 1 large peeled eggplant, cut into 8 slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim eggplant slices so they are all the same size. Save trimmings and set aside. Place slices in oiled shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Broil eggplant for 5 minutes or until fork tender.
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and chopped eggplant trimmings; cook until mixture is thick. Stir in thyme, parsley and bread crumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon onion mixture on top of the broiled eggplant and cover with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.