Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very good recipe that I found in Bon Appetit many, many years ago. It is a good family dinner, but is nice enough for company.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and patted dry
- seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup good quality dry sherry (NOT cooking sherry!)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar button mushrooms, liquid reserved,about
- unseasoned chicken broth or water, as needed
- 1 package dry chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes, as accompaniment
- Lightly sprinkle chicken with seasoned salt and pepper, and brown on both sides in butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add sherry and liquid from mushrooms, cover, and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken to serving dish.
- Measure pan juices and add water or broth as necessary to make 1-1/4 cups.
- Carefully blend liquid and chicken gravy mix in Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Blend in sour cream, and add mushrooms.
- Heat, but do not allow to boil!
- When sauce is smooth and hot, pour over chicken breasts.
- Serve with fluffy rice or mashed potatoes.
Had this for dinner last night and did use (gasp!) regular cooking sherry. It came out fine - very good, even though we also didn't have chicken gravy mix. My DH has actually promoted this to the "we have to make this again, sometime" list, so I know it was good. I served it over linguine - practically licked up the sauce, it was so good! Thanks for posting it!
I have my own 'Sherried Chicken with Herbs and Mushrooms' recipe that I prepare but I used this for making the sauce with the pan drippings. It was an awesome addition!