Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Total comfort food for the Autumn evenings. A perfect make ahead meal, ready to pop in the oven when you get home. Also good to freeze.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 450 g ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 carrots, peeled & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1 kg floury potato
- 25 g butter
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, then fry for 7 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
- Stir in the lamb, fry until crumbly and evenly browned.
- Stir in the flour.
- Stir in the carrots, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and stock.
- Season well, bring to the boil, cover, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes, then cook them in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender; drain well.
- Return potatoes to the pan cover and leave to steam.
- Dry in the heat for 5 minutes with the lid off.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/gas6.
- Mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Mash in the butter, then add plenty of salt and pepper as well as the milk, until you have a smooth consistency.
- Tip the mince mixture into a 1.7 litre ovenproof dish.
- Put spoonfuls of mash over the top, then smooth it over with a fork, sealing in the filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top of the pie is crisp and golden.