Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Mario Batali recipe.
- 1 medium leek, halved lengthwise,cleaned,and sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sicilian green olives
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 8 large cherrystone clams
- 8 mussels
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 lbs calamari, cleaned and cut into 1/4 inch rings
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- In a large flameproof casserole suitable for serving, saute the leek and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, until very soft- about 8 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, olives, tomatoes, clams, mussels, shrimp and couscous.
- Stir to mix.
- Add the fish stock and wine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes over high heat.
- Remove the cover and stir to mix.
- Add the calamari and continue to cook uncovered, stirring often, until the calamari is cooked but still tender, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Discard any clams or mussels that did not open.
- Pour into a warmed serving dish and enjoy.