Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have 2 great recipes for brussels sprouts, both from the fabulous "Bridge" series of cookbooks. This is one of them. I have to take one or the other every (Canadian) Thanksgiving, when we go to my son's for dinner. Even people who don't like sprouts, like these....I hope you try them. Cooking and prep. times are approximate.
- 4 cups fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Wash and trim brussels sprouts.
- Cook (uncovered) until tender.
- Saute onion in butter until soft, but not brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, sugar and mustard.
- Add milk and cook slowly until thickened.
- Blend in sour cream.
- Add sprouts and heat through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
again added fresh garlic when sauteing the onion!!!! also used cream intead of milk.
These are much more than tolerable! The sauce nicely complements the brussels sprouts with just the right touch of sweetness and savoriness. Made the recipe just as written and would do so again. Thanks for sharing.