1/1 Photo of Sheila's Black Bean Soup
I was shopping in a Bulk Food Store one day and overheard a young man asking the clerk where some ingredients would be....said he had to buy for "the best black bean soup in the world"...had the recipe in his hand. Long story short....clerk made a copy for me, and he was right!! Turns out, I see now as I go to post, that it is from 'Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home'. I had never heard of Moosewood Restaurant 'til I came to 'Zaar.....must be a super place to eat! Prep. time includes cook time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds & membrane removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (I like to give them a quick zap in the food processor to get rid of the chunks...your preference.)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- 1Cover the sundried tomatoes with the boiling water and set aside.
- 2In a large pot heat oil and saute the onions, garlic and jalapeno pepper, stirring frequently until soft.
- 3Add the cumin, 1/3 cup water and tomatoes.
- 4(Break up large chunks if you haven't already zapped them.).
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minute.
- 7Add the undrained black beans and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 8Drain and chop the sundried tomatoes and add to soup.
- 9Cook 5-10 minutes longer.
- 10Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
- 11Puree half the soup in food processor or blender and return to pot.
- 12If soup is too thick, add some water or tomato juice if you prefer.
- 13Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 122.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 17.9 g