Sweet Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Easy, low fat, and delish black bean soup! Created for the first time today (1/16/09). My very first posted recipe!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chili-ready tomatoes or (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn
- Spray pan with non-stick spray. Dice onion, add to pan. Add garlic.
- Cook on medium-high heat until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, cilantro, and diced tomatoes. Reduce to medium heat.
- Add drained corn and black beans.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. (the longer the better!).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious and very flexible recipe! I omitted the cilantro (I don't like) and corn (kid would object), and added 1 stalk chopped celery. Even found I had only 1 can of black beans, so subbed 1 can red kidney beans. Also, I used a red onion for extra depth of flavor, and 1Tbl. butter instead of spray, and I blended the soup at the end. Ahh, this site is really about inspiration more than literal devotion, huh? ;-) Thanks, Niffer'!Reply
see 2 more