Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple way to use flank steak. This has a bright flavor and very fresh tasting.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless beef flank steak, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced yellow sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Mix together the flour,salt and pepper.
- Lightly score both sides of the steak, then coat in the flour mixture.
- In a heavy skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown the steak on both sides. About 5 minutes per side. Transfer steak to a plate.
- To the skillet add peppers, celery, green onions, carrot and thyme. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, water and lemon juice and browned steak. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- To serve, slice the steak diagonally across the grain about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange on platter and spoon sauce over steak.
I had a similar recipe years ago but it dissappeared. This makes the best sauce. We like to serve mashed potatoes with it. So good.