Veganized, but with authentic flavor! Serve in arabic pita bread (or tortilla) with e.g. salad, tomatoes, onion, sambal oelek and vegan tzatziki. The seitan strips are also great for pizzas and salads...
- 1 lb seitan
- 2 teaspoons marmite (yeast extract)
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind you like)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Cut seitan in to strips (about 1/4 inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 2-3 inch long).
- Dissolve Marmite in boiling water. Add the rest and mix well.
- Mix with seitan strips, and marinate for about 1 hour, then fry them until browned.