Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Veganized, but with authentic flavor! Serve in arabic pita bread (or tortilla) with e.g. salad, tomatoes, onion, sambal oelek and vegan tzatziki. The seitan strips are also great for pizzas and salads...
- 1 lb seitan
- 2 teaspoons marmite (yeast extract)
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind you like)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Cut seitan in to strips (about 1/4 inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 2-3 inch long).
- Dissolve Marmite in boiling water. Add the rest and mix well.
- Mix with seitan strips, and marinate for about 1 hour, then fry them until browned.
Amazing recipe! My husband was shocked with the authentic Shawarma taste!
This was great! Easy and tasty. I followed the recipe exactly. Served on warmed pita with tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and olives. My vegetarian Lebanese sweetie ate 3!
Fantastic and so simple! I prepare the marinade right in the pan for easy clean up, and serve it with diced cucumber and tomato with yogurt and lemon. Wonderful unique flavor. Try it!