Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Are you tired of throwing out all your stale bread? This is much cheaper then buying seasoned breadcrumbs!
- 4 cups plain breadcrumbs (about 12 slices of dried bread will make four cups of crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- If bread is soft place in a warm oven to dry out.
- Process the bread in a food processor until fine.
- Add rest of ingredients and process until combined.
- Store in freezer in a zip type bag or other airtight container.
Tried this recipe this morning for breadcrumbs for a mac and cheese topping. Loved it! I don't even have a food processor and used by blender (one slice of bread at a time!). The crumbs are delicious and now in my freezer for future use.
Thank you for explaining how to turn bread into breadcrumbs - other recipes skip this step and if you are new to cooking, sometimes the basics haven't been learned. Great recipe.
Delicious seasoned breadcrumbs with family favorite seasonings. I used Italian seasoning instead of oregano. Used breadcrumbs to top recipe #339853. I'm making up another batch to keep on hand in the freezer to bread pork chops or chicken or drained canned potatoes to make potato puffs.