Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
for rsc 2004, this is a compilation of my usual chutney recipes, and my favorite poultry, duck. this is lovely served over polenta with asparagus or greens on the side.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 2 cups tart cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 4 boneless duck breasts, with excess skin removed.
- combine first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan.
- bring to simmer over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- add rhubarb, onions and cherries raise heat to medium, cook until rhubarb is tender and mixture thickens, about 10 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- for duck:.
- with a sharp knife, score the fat on the breasts in a cross pattern.
- heat a grill pan and add duck, fat side down, cook for 5 minutes.
- you can turn them to create a nice grill mark and cook for 3-5 minutes more, to taste.
- drain the fat.
- (i like mine well, family likes their's rare).
- turn over and cook 5-10 minutes more, to taste.
- serve with chutney.
Truly outstanding. I can't believe no one tried this recipe during or since RSC 2004. The combination of this chutney and the duck breasts is rich in taste and elegant in presentation. (I'll work on getting a picture...just not tonight.) EASY to make (yes, very messy to cook the duck breasts, but that is entirely normal :-) I fully intend to make this again. Probably repeatedly.