Savory Tart Cherry, Rhubarb, Onion Spread/Jam
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
8-9 1/2 pint jars
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
- 3 lbs frozen tart cherries, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup dried unsweetened tart red cherries
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (4 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄3 cup very thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large pot heat oil then add onions and cook till caramelized about 30 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to onions along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook stirring over medium high heat. Being careful not to burn. Cooking until temperature reaches 220 degrees.
- Poor jam into the prepared sterilized jars. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- Label store for up to 1 year. Any that didn't seal place in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!