Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
After trying a number of recipes, I still couldn't find one that I was satisfied with. So I started combining and adding ingredients, coming up with this one. The YIELD is 9 quarts or 48 - 3/4 cup servings.
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) box Zatarians gumbo base mix
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons zatarains creole seasoning
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup seasoning (frozen mixed vegetables)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon zatarian crab boil
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots
- 2 -3 redfish fillets, cut up (for it's strong flavor)
- 1 lb crawfish meat
- 1 lb crabmeat (natural)
- 1 lb okra, cut up
- 1 lb corn kernel
- 1 lb andouille sausage (Cajun seafood sausage)
- 4 cups rice, with
- 2 tablespoons zatarains crab boil
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 2 lbs small shrimp (very small)
- Combine ingredients down to the dish and cook for 30 minutes on high in the microwave.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Divide into two parts, save one part for future use (the next time that you make this recipe).
- Combine Fish, crabmeat, crawfish, okra, corn and andouille sausage.
- Cook 40 minutes on 80% power and set aside.
- Cook the Rice --- with crab boil added here to cut down its loss during cooking.
- Add the shrimp to the meat and sauce.
- I use 2 VERY LARGE bowls to mix the ingredients by hand (after they have cooled down).
- Pour on top of individual servings of rice or mix rice and sauce together.
- Reheat each serving.
- NOTE; THE SHRIMP IS NOT COOKED UNTIL THE INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS ARE REHEATED IN THE MICROWAVE (2 to 3 minutes at 80%).