This makes a chic and tasty Christmas Eve supper dish. Prepare the seafood ahead of time, and it only takes a few minutes. Scallops, crab or lobster would also be nice. Here in Italy we have fish stock bouillon cubes, which saves a lot of bother when preparing the fish stock. I think the saffron really adds to the visual appeal of the dish. Thanks to Giorgio Mistretta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 mussels, scrubbed
- 400 g small clams (a little less than a pound)
- 9.85 ml butter
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 473.18 ml fish stock
- 1.23 ml saffron, ground or 2.46 ml saffron thread
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 32 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 8 small squid, cleaned and chopped into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 14.79 ml parsley, chopped
- 8 slice bread, coarse country style
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in two
- olive oil, for drizzling on the toast
- 1Steam open the mussels in a tablespoon of water, pluck out the meat, strain the liquor through a fine filter and discard the shells. Repeat the process for the clams.
- 2In a large skillet melt the butter in the olive oil, add the shallot and saute until golden. Add the shellfish liquor, wine, cream, fish stock, saffron and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, cook together, and reduce a few minutes.
- 3Add the squid, mussels, clams, shrimp, bell pepper and parsley to the skillet, and cook for a few more minutes over medium-low, until the shrimp and squid are cooked through.
- 4Meanwhile, toast the bread, rub it with the garlic, and drizzle with oil. Place two slices on each plate or shallow soup bowl and ladle the seafood stew over the toast.
- 5Buon appetito!
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seafood Bruschetta Stew
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.1
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 160.1 mg
- Sodium 1496.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 34.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: