Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is for me, the best lemon bar recipe I have ever tasted. Wonderful for Spring/Summer parties.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Firmly press mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl; whisk in 2 cups sugar and lemon juice.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder; whisk into egg mixture; pour batter over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set.
- Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars, and sprinkle evenly with additional powdered sugar.
Based on other reviews commenting on the over sweetness (overall 2 1/4 c. sugar), I reduced the sugar to 1 1/3 c.(in the lemon filling). While these went REALLY fast and I've had subsequent requests to make them, To speed up the making of the crust, I pulsed those ingredients in the food processor until combined with great results. I also thought the crust was a little thick for the amount of filling (make sure you watch the crust closely, there's a fine line between perfect and overcooked. I used fresh lemon juice and some finely zested lemon peel, the flavor was perfectly lemony. I believe fresh lemon juice is key. Thanks for sharing, with the tweaks, we definetly have a repeat winner!****Update**** I reduced the sugar in the filling down to 1 cup and I think this is just to our taste. Wonderfully lemony and not overly sweet. I also added just a pinch of salt to the crust.
These lemon bars were one of the desserts I made for our Memorial Day cook-out. Scrumptious is an accurate description of the taste. I used fresh lemon juice and they had an intense flavor. The crowd went wild for them. Thanks for making me look like I'm a good cook.
Not only were these lemon bars easy to make, but they were also easy to cut and remove. I received a ton of compliments and would highly recommend them to anyone who needs to bake sweets for a party or gathering. My friends commented that the bars were soft and not too sugary. The lemon flavor wasn't too overwhelming, either. The minute you set these out, they'll disappear!