Recipe by Joy Appleyard
Oatmeal, chocolate chip with coconut.
Top Review by Ambervim
Three favorites in one and just great!!!! They are crunchy and chewy at the same time. Don't forget to add the egg. I contacted Joy and I bet she corrects the recipe. I used canola oil for my shortening. I found the mix to be too wet (it would not be so if you used butter). So I added another cup of oats. It also may have been because I used whole oats NOT quick oats which would have absorbed more. As an aside I used graham flour, just because I had it. Instead of pressing down with a fork dipped in milk, I just used my finger. This is on my short list of favorites now.
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Make a "well" and add egg & vanilla.
- Work in shortening.
- I usually use a pastry cutter and then work it till fully blended with my hands.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of batter onto greased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with fork dipped in milk.
- Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Watch as they burn quickly. Increase chocolate chips based on taste.