Cook1 hr 5 mins
Patience is a virtue, and (trust me) this stuff is WELL worth the wait!
Make and share this Scottish Fruited Gingerbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 ounces light brown sugar
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 fluid ounces golden syrup or 4 fluid ounces light corn syrup
- 5 fluid ounces milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2 ounces dried apricots, finely chopped
- Grease and line a deep 7-inch square cake tin.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
- Place sugar, butter, syrup and milk in a pan and warm gently until melted and blended.
- Do not boil.
- Add to the flour with the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in orange zest and apricots.
- Turn into the baking tin and bake at 325ºF for 60-65 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Turn out and cool.
- The flavour of this cake improves with age.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days before serving.