- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark raisin
- In large saucepan, combine water, brown rice, wild rice, onion, parsley, butter, bouillon granules, sugar, thyme & both peppers.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover & simmer 45-50 minutes, or until rice is ALMOST tender.
- Stir in orange juice, apricots, cranberries & raisins.
- Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Brown Basmati rice is 100% foolproof for me so that was my rice of choice. I've made this twice now and have slightly reduced the cayenne pepper (ground red peopper) as a change to the recipe. DH, however, liked it peoppery. We enjoy this w/ sweet potoates and rotisserie chicken as a meal. I tend to have all these ingredients on hand, only have to buy orange juice. This time, DH's mother is going to get a chicken dinner sent her way with this rice as he's told her so much about it. It is on the way to being a staple recipe in our household. Quite the excellent and easy side dish. I'm thinking about it as a contribution to upcoming Easter dinner. Thanks for sharing!
This was really good. I used all White Rice and had to do some cooking adjustments. I soaked all the dried fruit in the Orange Juice for about an hour. Got 2 cups of water boiling with all the remaining ingredients and added 1 cup of rice along with the fruit and Orange Juice. Cooked for 20 minutes and it came out perfect. Lovely presentation and nice blend of flavors. Thanks for sharing!
I agree, this was really good. What I loved most about it, is how easy it is - most of it thrown together in the beginning, so don't be scared off by the list of ingredients, it only takes a few minutes to get this on the stove. I also really loved the thyme, it complimented the fruity flavours beautifully. Thanks Mike, I like this fancy rice! Made for Veg Swap 16 - Nov09