Carrot Cake - Fruited Carrot Loaf or Christmas Muffins
This recipe was passed along many years back and has been the recipe I have used for carrot loaves ever since. By adding an additional cup of mixed glaced fruit it makes for a special holiday loaf come Christmas. If adding the additional fruit you may need to add approximately ten to fifteen minutes to the baking time. Icing with your favorite cream cheese icing adds to this delicious loaf. I also use this recipe to make Christmas Muffins - using holiday muffin cup liners. Before baking I press a cherry in the centre and make petals by using 5 blanched almonds (pointy end to cherry) Makes for great presentation. Served in a footed server with the glass dome lid has you getting raves before they take their first bite!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (chopped)
- In bowl: beat eggs until smooth and creamy, add sugar, oil, milk, vanilla and beat well.
- In large bowl combine and whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Make well in dry ingredients, add the egg mixture mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in grated carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans ( approximately 9 x 5 and preferably lined) baking in a 350 oven 60 - 70 minute. (ovens vary).
- Remove from oven, place on wire rack until cooled completely.
- Remove from pan, wrap in foil, refrigerate overnight before slicing.