1/2 Photos of Schweinebraten-Marinated Pork Loin Chops
72 hrs 10 mins
*Please Note 3-5 Day Marinating Required* My DH was born in Wiesbaden, Germany, his family moved to the US when he was a small child. In the military, he was thrilled to be stationed at the Bitburg Air Base in Germany. Over the next 4 years, he grew to love these Marinated Pork Loin Chops, grilled and served on buttered hard rolls. When we vacationed in Germany, I finally got to try authentic Schweinebraten at Oktoberfest-YUM ! I now see what all the fuss was about. Please do not skimp on the marinating time, it is worth the wait. We have found countless variations of this recipe dependent on the region, but this is the version he was fond of.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces paprika (If you use hot paprika, omit the black pepper. I like the smoked Spanish paprika, but sweet is ok to)
- 1 ounce salt
- 1 ounce black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 boneless pork loin chops, 1/2 thick (If they are thicker, pound them between plastic wrap to 1/2 inch thick)
- 1Mix all spices and onion in a ziploc bag.
- 2Generously oil both sides of meat, and place in bag.
- 3Zip up bag, shake around to coat chops well. Remove excess air from bag, reseal and place in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- 4Every day, gently knead bag to mix up spices a little.
- 5After 3-5 days, remove chops from bag, discard bag containing spices, and onion.
- 6Cook chops on the grill and serve on buttered hard rolls.
- 7Things I have learned by making these:.
- 8You can mix up the dry spice blend in advance, (Except the fresh parsley) and keep in a sealed jar. Typically I use it within a month.
- 9The spice amounts may seem excessive, but they are correct.
- 10Do not use chops thicker than 1/2 inch, or they are too tough.
- 11I oil the chops up really good and even add a tablespoon or 2 to the bag to make it a little more liquidy (is that a word?).
- 12When you remove them from the bag, they are messy.
- 13The spices stick pretty thick to the chop. That's ok, grill them like this and if you like, you can scrap a little seasoning off after grilling.
- 14When I use Hot Hungarian Paprika, DS likes to put ranch dressing on his sandwich.
- 15Grilling does them more justice than broiling, and only takes about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Schweinebraten-Marinated Pork Loin Chops
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2786.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 6.0 g