Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from Redbook
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 large shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs medium russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Melt 3 tbsp of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add shallots. Cook, stiffing frequently, 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Heat oven to 375°F; grease a 3-quart casserole with remaining 1 tbsp of the butter.
- Thinly slice peeled potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl with shallots, thyme, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place potatoes in casserole.
- Heat cream in small saucepan until it just comes to a simmer. Pour hot cream over potato mixture. Bake 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake 20 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and top of casserole is brown and crusty.