Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is just the way I like them; no cheese and pure butter with rich cream. These aren't made for those who are watching their waistlines! This recipe is adapted from Kim Tilley's Bulk Cooking: Ham Plan.
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced (I leave the skins on and use a mandoline)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings (I use the mandoline for these as well)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and stir until smooth. Cook one minute, stirring the entire time.
- Gradually add half and half, increase heat to medium and stir constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce into a well greased casserole dish or 10 inch iron skillet.
- Combine potatoes and remaining ingredients (except sauce) in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Layer half of potato mixture over the sauce.
- Top with half of remaining sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350 for one hour, or until potatoes are tender.