Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wow, is this ever a family favorite.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain well on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1T bacon grease; saute onions in bacon grease and drain well Slice potatoes thinly.
- Butter a 13x9 casserole dish; layer potatoes, bacon, onion mixture and finish with more potatoes.
- Mix sour cream, cheese, and mushroom soup; pour mixture over top of potatoes.
- Cover with foil; bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; uncover for the last 20 minutes.
The BEST!!! The only way to make scalloped potatoes as far as we are concerned. Deserves more than 5-stars. This produced a sumptuous creamy cheese sauce and the bacon-onion add WOW for flavor. The potatoes turned out very tender. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.
The ultimate in comfort food. These were fantastic. The bacon-onion-potatoes mixed with the creamy cheese sauce. Oh, somebody stop me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Sinfully delicious!! Thanks again Nurse Di.
This is the way I remember my Gran making scalloped potatoes. I tried them out on my family and I was Queen for a day. Very tender potatos with the added goodness of bacon and onion flavors. Topped off with that of so luscious creamy cheese sauce. Nothing better in my opinion. Thanks.