Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was another of my father's recipes. He adapted it from an old community cookbook.
Make and share this Scalloped Oysters recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Butter a shallow baking dish with the 2 tablespoons butter.
- Drain the oysters, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- Layer half the oysters in the bottom.
- Cover oysters with half of the cracker crumbs.
- Cover crumbs with the rest of the oysters.
- Mix together the cream, worcestershire sauce, melted butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the layers in the dish.
- Cover with the remaining crumbs, and dot with additional butter if desired.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve hot.
Much too salty for most tastes if you're using saltine crackers. I would cut the salt in half. Also, the reserved liquid should be added to other liquid ingredients.
This is how my Mother and Aunt's make Oyster casserole which is absolutely one of my favorites on the Holiday table! The only difference is they use Cayenne pepper and omit the Worcestershire. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
If you like oysters, you will like this. (There's really no "disguising" oysters, so if you don't like them, you won't like this.) I added a little minced garlic, otherwise stuck to the recipe. This comes together quickly and would make a nice addition to a holiday meal. Thanx!