Recipe by PleasantNancy
This is the best green bean dish I have ever had! The mixture of onion, bell pepper, celery, tomatoes, and cheese blends so nicely with the green beans. I got the recipe from an friend's mother over 20 years ago and she got the recipe from her mother who had a local cooking show in the southwest Louisana/ southeast Texas area. You can taste the southern Creole influence in this dish. You won't be disappointed!
Top Review by Paka
This was a great way to eat up the green beans in the freezer! I did add a bit of garlic..I like garlic. My DH sprinkled some hot pepper flakes on his serving and gave it a thumbs up. thanks.
- 4 -6 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, grated
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon until crisp and set aside. Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper in bacon drippings until transparent.
- Transfer onion mixture to a medium sauce pan and add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar. Cook, covered over low heat for 1 hour. (yes--1 hour!).
- Add cheese to sauce mixture and stir until melted.
- Place green beans in casserole dish, crumble bacon over beans, and pour sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered for 1 hour.