Top Review by Scotty & Callie's Mom
Fantastic! My mom used to make this when I was a child. Her recipe called for cheddar cheese on top instead of the coconut. It really complimented the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 package orange Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained (reserve this juice)
- 1 bag miniature marshmallow
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 bananas, sliced in rounds
- lemon juice
- 2 packages Dream Whip topping mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- 1st Step: Dissolve the lemon and orange Jello in 2 C.
- of boiling water, then add the drained pineapple and mini-marshmallows.
- Mix together well, pour into a 13x9 serving dish, and chill until firm.
- 2nd Step: Add enough pineapple juice to the reserved juice that was drained from the crushed pineapple, to equal 2 C.
- In a medium, heavy saucepan combine this juice with the sugar, beaten eggs, and the flour.
- Whisk together until combined and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- ***Caution:this mixture scorches easily.
- Let cool and spread over the congealed Jello mixture.
- 3rd Step: Toss the sliced bananas in a small amount of lemon juice and spread the slices evenly over the custard layer.
- 4th Step: Mix the Dream Whip according to the package directions, then beat in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Spread this mixture over the top of the sliced bananas and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Chill for several hours before serving.