Recipe by Gwanny Hill
A rich, creamy salad that can be used as a dessert when served in stemmed glasses. The preparation process appears lengthy but the results are well worth it!
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon gelatin
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 cup banana, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 11"x7" serving dish by spraying lightly with Pam.
- TOP LAYER:.
- Dissolve gelatin in small medium mixing bowl in boiling water.
- Add cold water and chill until syrupy.
- MIDDLE LAYER:.
- Add bananas, nuts and drained pineapple to chilled gelatin mixture and pour into serving dish.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over top of mixture and gently push them down into gelatin.
- Refrigerate until congealed.
- THIRD LAYER:.
- Mix flour and sugar in saucepan.
- Add reserved pineapple juice, egg and lemon juice.
- Begin cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Continue cooking until the mixture becomes so thick that it will follow the spoon around the pan like a paste, and becomes transparent.
- Remove from heat and add butter.
- Chill thoroughly.
- TOP LAYER:.
- Fold whipped topping into cooled cooked mixture.
- Spread over the congealed salad and sprinkle with grated cheese to yield the sawdust appearance.
- NOTE: Cooking time refers primarily to chilling time.